You can use Phy to manage a variety of beacon brands. If you want to use 3rd-party beacons with Phy, follow the steps below to add them to your Phy account.
None of these steps are required if you use BKON-brand beacons with their advanced features (including anti-hijacking*, anti-spoofing*, and remote battery state monitoring**).
Step 1: Configure to Eddystone-URL protocol
- If you're using any brand of beacon other than BKON, make sure it is configured to broadcast using the Eddystone-URL protocol.
- Consult your beacon manufacturer's instructions for Eddystone compatibility and their process for configuring their beacons.
Step 2: Add a PhyID to your account
PhyIDs are unique identification codes assigned to QR Codes, NFC Tags, and Physical Web Beacons by the Phy Platform to enable platform features. Our plans bill monthly on a per PhyID basis. While PhyIDs are included with BKON-brand beacons, you need to obtain them directly from us to use with 3rd party beacons.
- Send an email to email@example.com stating how many PhyIDs you want (one per 3rd party beacon).
- Note that each PhyID you request will be billed at your plan's monthly rate.
- Once we get your email, we'll add PhyIDs to your account. Please give us up to 24 hours for this step. We'll process it as quickly as possible.
- Your new PhyIDs for your beacons will appear in your account. Each one will have a beacon, a 6 digit alphanumeric ID, and a name of "My Beacon."
Step 3: Set your beacon to your unique PhyID
- Using your beacon manufacturer's process and configuration tools, update your beacon's settings to point to a URL that contains your new PhyID, following this exact structure:
- The ###### represents your new PhyID.
- PhyID = AbC123
- Phy URL to program into your 3rd party beacon = https://phy.net/AbC123
- PhyIDs are case sensitive. Pay careful attention to upper and lower case characters.
- Your 3rd party beacon can only be managed on Phy if it is programmed properly.
* Available in all paid plans
** Only available in the Professional plan