*We changed the QR code experience, but changing our Knowledge Base articles to reflect the new platform will take some time. Thanks for your patience.
You can use Phy to manage a variety of beacon brands. If you want to use 3rd-party beacons with Phy, follow the steps below to add them to your Phy account.
None of these steps are required if you use BKON-brand beacons with their advanced features (including anti-hijacking*, anti-spoofing*, and remote battery state monitoring**).
Step 1: Configure to Eddystone-URL protocol
- If you're using any brand of beacon other than BKON, make sure it is configured to broadcast using the Eddystone-URL protocol.
- Consult your beacon manufacturer's instructions for Eddystone compatibility and their process for configuring their beacons.
Step 2: Add a PhyID to your account
PhyIDs are unique identification codes assigned to QR Codes, NFC Tags, and Physical Web Beacons by the Phy Platform to enable platform features. Our plans bill monthly on a per PhyID basis. While PhyIDs are included with BKON-brand beacons, you can issue PhyIDs from your account to use with 3rd party beacons.
- From the Beacons List View, select the green "Add PhyIDs" button.
- Select "Physical Web Beacon" then click the "Add PhyID" button.
- A new 6-digit alphanumeric PhyID will be generated and added to your account.
- Note that each PhyID you request will be billed at your plan's monthly rate.
- To add multiple PhyIDs at once, send an email to email@example.com stating how many PhyIDs you need (one per 3rd party beacon).
Step 3: Set your beacon to your unique PhyID
- Using your beacon manufacturer's process and configuration tools, update your beacon's settings to point to a URL that contains your new PhyID, following this exact structure:
- The ###### represents your new PhyID.
- PhyID = AbC123
- Phy URL to program into your 3rd party beacon = https://phy.net/AbC123
- PhyIDs are case sensitive. Pay careful attention to upper and lower case characters.
- Your 3rd party beacon can only be managed on Phy if it is programmed properly.
* Available in all paid plans
** Only available in the Professional plan